3… 2… 1… The PBL Toolkit Has Launched

Thursday, April 12, 2018
For several months, I learned as much as possible about Finland’s phenomenon-based learning (PhenoBL) instructional practice. The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program has been one of the greatest professional development journeys of my career. Without Fulbright and the support of my local school district, Simpson County Schools, I would not have been able to investigate PhenoBL to such a great extent.

There are so many advantages to applying key elements of phenomenon-based learning to everyday instruction. PhenoBL challenges students to explore interesting topics and solve real life problems by investigating the topic from multiple vantage points. PhenoBL is a type of inquiry. Inquiry is the process of exploring questions using evidence collected from research. Information gathered is considered with and against existing models and theories. The insight students gain from their examination leads to new understandings and potentially new possibilities.

How do you capture the essence of inquiry-based learning? Inquiry is something quite abstract. It is more than solving a math equation or diagramming a sentence. My Fulbright inquiry project seeks to make inquiry-based learning (i.e. PhenoBL and project-based learning) more accessible. My goal is to make this style of instruction easier to grasp and implement by breaking down the process and visualizing its potential.

There are many product formats my inquiry project could take. I toyed with the idea of creating a documentary, a dynamic slideshow, a booklet, and sample instructional designs. Yet, I did not want to limit myself to just one of these options. I wanted to incorporate them all. I decided that the best way to share all of my work in Finland is through an interactive website.

A website usually contains multiple formats of information. Examples include textual explanations, video clips, graphic representations, and links to external sources. With this kind of deliverable, I am able to embed several types of information in one location. Best of all, a website enables me to continue adding new content as I learn more about inquiry-based learning from experience. Advancements in technology and innovation in pedagogy are rapid. I intend to help educators “keep up” by updating the site frequently. I am passionate about the style of learning I have pursued in Finland. I want nothing more than my Fulbright project to thrive well past my program dates.

The time has come to launch my inquiry project. Begin the countdown…

10 seconds to liftoff.

7 seconds remaining.

5 seconds.

3
.
.
.
2
.
.
.
1
.
.
.
www.pbltoolkit.weebly.com
PBL=Project/Phenomenon/Passion Based Learning

The PBL Toolkit is a user-friendly, easy-to-navigate platform for anyone interested in starting or enhancing inquiry-based instruction. The online toolkit contains information from research and observations. There are links to resources and downloadable files. The website features multimedia content and blog articles concerning inquiry-based instruction.

I truly hope you find the PBL Toolkit useful and encouraging. Project-based learning, phenomenon-based learning, and passion-based learning have so much to offer. It is worth the effort to learn about, plan, and implement these methods in the classroom. PBL encompasses the categories that I would argue all educators see as vital: interdisciplinary teaching, student-led instruction, cooperative learning, strategic use of technology, and the development of global competencies.

Please visit the PBL Toolkit. Explore the pages and open the links. Watch the videos and examine the graphics. Let me know about your own PBL experiences and ways you think I can improve the online toolkit. Together, we can transform education for the next generation.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top