Norway is Way Awesome

Monday, March 12, 2018
My initial response when I discovered I was going to Oslo for a conference was, “I’m going to Norway? No way!” I could not believe that I would be spending six days in Norway, nor could I believe that I was awarded a professional development grant to do so. Okay, enough with the Norway puns. Back to normal discourse. Starting…now!
As part of the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program, grantees are eligible to apply for two professional development grants. These grants allow Fulbright teachers to attend conferences or visit schools that require extensive travel. My first grant application was for the Nordic Educational Research Association (NERA) 2018 Congress in Oslo. This annual event changes location every year. In 2016, the event was hosted in Helsinki, Finland. I never complained that this year, NERA’s conference was in Oslo. It gave me the chance to experience another Nordic country.  

The flight from Helsinki to Oslo is under 90 minutes. I arrived in Norway on an early Tuesday morning. I was planning to take full advantage of my time in Oslo by seeing as much as possible. Oslo is a very walk-able city. The only time I took public transportation were trains to and from the airport. My first day in Oslo included visits to a number of interesting museums. Each shed light on Norwegian history and ideals. 36,000 steps after landing at Oslo's airport, I arrived to my Airbnb near the central rail station. With chicken curry in my stomach and pain in my feet, I fell asleep in no time.
Top Left: Nobel Peace Center is a showcase for the Nobel Peace Prize and the ideals it represents.
Top Right: Royal Palace
Bottom Left: The Scream by Norwegian artist, Edvard Munch is one of the world's most famous paintings.
Bottom Right: The Kon-Tiki expedition was a 1947 journey by this raft across the Pacific Ocean from South America to the Polynesian islands, led by Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl. 
         Oslo City Hall - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA

Here in Oslo's City Hall is where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded each year on December 10th (the anniversary of Alfred Nobel's death). Use your cursor to zoom in and move around the picture.

The next day was spent on a bus, touring some of Oslo’s most significant cultural destinations. The temperature had dropped considerably from the day before. It even snowed! The bus was refuge from the cold conditions outside. Plus, the tour guide explained each place and the sites along the way which was very informative. I have learned to always book at least one guided tour when visiting a new city. It gives me the chance to see and learn a lot in a short amount of time. And it gives me an idea of other fun things to do during my trip.
Top Left: The Vigeland Park is the world's largest sculpture park made by a single artist (Norwegian, Gustav Vigeland).
Top Right: Holmenkollen Ski Jump
Bottom Left: Fram polar ship is the strongest wooden ship ever built and still holds the records for sailing farthest north and farthest south. Norwegian explorer Amundsen used the Fram to be the first person to reach the South Pole.
Bottom Right: Akershus Castle and Fortress began construction in 1299 under king Håkon V. 
Viking Ship Museum (Oslo) - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA

Four viking ships have been excavated in Norway. Prominent figures in their society were buried inside ships like this one along with a trove of valuables: chests, carriages, jewelry, and weapons. 

My third day in Norway marked the beginning of the NERA 2018 Congress. NERA strives to promote educational inquiry and supports the use of research to enhance education. The theme of this year’s event was “Educational Research: Boundaries, Breaches, and Bridges.” Education is becoming more and more inter-connected among disciplines and research theories. The field of education has always been interdisciplinary in nature and the interplay between strands like educational sociology, curriculum studies, and learning research have been a hallmark of the field. The NERA Congress explored how boundaries between knowledge fields are challenged and how new boundaries are constructed in the field of educational sciences.

Attending the conference resulted in a new understanding of the research and developments occurring in education. I learned a great deal about Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in the Nordic countries. I attended a variety of sessions centered on educational technology—from gaming in social studies instruction to how national curriculums’ integrate the concept of digital literacy. Furthermore, I have greater insight into the newest trends in the field of education. For instance, a lot of research is being conducted on informational technologies, pedagogical techniques for early childhood, teacher-trainee education, and professional learning activities. I will use all that I have learned from the event to direct my future research endeavors.

Where will your path take you next?
One of my favorite activities in Oslo was walking to and from the university each day for the conference. It was quite peaceful walking the city streets and going through the snowy parks. It gave me time to reflect on the information learned from each presentation as well as my many cultural encounters. During my six days in Norway, I visited popular attractions, ate different types of food, and witnessed first-hand the friendliness of the Norwegians I met. I am thankful to have visited Finland’s western neighbor and to be able to share my journey with you.


The Oslo Opera House was designed by the Norwegian architecture firm, Snøhetta with inspiration from icy glaciers.
To travel is to enjoy new foods.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top