Jyväskylä

Friday, February 16, 2018
Lake Päijänne
The city of Jyväskylä, pronounced you-vas-ki-la (J in Finnish is like the consonantal Y in English), is located in the lake district of Central Finland. Half the battle of visiting new cities in Finland is learning their pronunciations. Arranging transportation is easier. A 2.5-hour bus ride transported me to Jyväskylä where I stayed for three days. There I attended a symposium at the university’s department of education. I was invited to the symposium by a professor at the University of Helsinki, Esa Penttinen. Esa was a more than gracious host.

Jyväskylä reminded me of a typical college town. There seemed to plenty of amenities and activity, but on a lower scale than that in Helsinki. Jyväskylä is situated on Lake Päijänne, one of the city’s main attractions. The lake is about 85 miles in length making it the second largest lake in Finland (Source—Britannica).
CLICK HERE for a 360-view of "downtown" Jyväskylä.
In addition to having Runebergs and coffe,
I was given a pair of socks knitted by Esa's neighbor.
I learned to really live like a Finn when staying with Esa. At night, we had a bedtime snack consisting of buttermilk (my new favorite), bread with cheese, and yogurt. Breakfast included coffee, a spoonful of fish oil for cholesterol, a pastry, and oatmeal with handpicked berries from the local forest. In Finland, some pastries are for a limited time only. I had the last bite of my favorite Finnish dessert in Jyväskylä. Runeberg is a crumb cakes topped with raspberry jam and honors Finland’s national poet Johan Ludvig Runeberg (1804–1877) (Source—This is Finland). The cake even has its own day, February 5th (Runeberg’s birthday) which is when the dessert stops being sold. Esa purchased a container of Runebergs before the 5th because he knew how much I like them.
Esa was given this hat by the university when he earned his PhD.
All doctoral candidates receive a hat when they finish the program. 
Department of Teacher Education
Esa and I walked down icy streets and through snowy parks to the university. The University of Jyväskylä has its origins in the first Finnish-speaking Teacher Training College, and its education department is still one of the best in the nation. Jyväskylä is known as the “Athens of Finland” because of its education programs. The state of the art education building is impressive. It represents the innovation that educators are striving for in Finland. I have witnessed this innovation everywhere—in the national curriculum, in research studies, and especially in classrooms. The seminar resembled a beehive. There were several workshops happening simultaneously in rooms with glass walls. The furniture rearranged to accommodate participants. And presentations were more of a discussion than a lecture. You can learn many things from everyone in the room! After a long day spent at the university, it was time to unwind. What better way than the sauna? Esa’s apartment building has a common sauna that each family has access to once a week. You do not want to miss your scheduled sauna time because the chances of an opening are slim. Finns love the sauna!

CLICK HERE for a 360-degree image on a bridge above Lake Päijänne.
My last day in Jyväskylä was most enjoyable. For starters, I rode in a car for the first time in seven weeks! You do not realize how little space is in an automobile after only using trams, busses, and trains. I hope I can remember how to drive when I return to the United States. Esa drove me to his summerhouse on Lake Päijänne. With the lake being right next to the city, I thought it would be a short drive to his cottage. We drove for 40 minutes! That gives you an idea of the size of Lake Päijänne. I could permanently reside in Esa’s lake house. It is an open room with everything one needs: a kitchen, heat, books, records, and a beautiful view. Esa kept saying how much nicer it is in the summer. That is when the area is buzzing with life as people enjoy the crystal clear water and long warm days. I imagine it is splendid, but I also like winter. I do not see this much snow in Kentucky, let alone a frozen lake I can walk on. The blankets of white snow placed over bushes, rooftops, and lakes symbolizes the purity of nature and how we should keep Mother Earth healthy.

The peacefulness of the house beside the lake is a stark contrast to life in Helsinki. It was sad to leave but the Onnibus is always on time. I not only learned about current research studies from the teacher trainee symposium, I experienced a charming city on a lake just like a Finn would. Esa invited Kara and me to his lake house in the summer! He wants to prove how much better it is then. I guess we will have to come back and see for ourselves. 
Finland in the Summer

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top