Customs Reflections #4

Sunday, February 11, 2018
"Travel early and travel often. Live abroad, if you can. Understand cultures other than your own. As your understanding of other cultures increases, your understanding of yourself and your own culture will increase exponentially."
-Tom Freston, former CEO of MTV Networks

I consider myself living abroad, even if it for just four months. I am beginning to live like most Finns. I shop for groceries, eat out on the weekends, go to work, and perform day-to-day activities that are not particularly glamorous. These activities help me to not only understand Finnish culture, but my own back in America as well. It seems natural to develop an appreciation for the culture in which you find yourself. Especially when making friends, enjoying food, and having new experiences. I also have developed a better appreciation for my life in Kentucky. A life I look forward to continuing at the end of my Fulbright program.

Below are three aspects of Finnish culture I have witnessed and experienced:

Reflectors
Dangling from each person’s coat, bag, or wrist is a small reflector. Personal reflectors are a safety standard in Finland. It is required by law (Finnish Road Traffic Code) that pedestrians wear reflectors when traveling the roads after dark (Source—Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland). These reflectors move freely while one walks and the movement causes a flash to driver’s eyes. It is somewhat ironic that most Finns wear dark clothing but rely on a small reflector to prevent traffic accidents. I, on the other hand, have a bright orange parka that makes me easy to see and stand out in a crowd. Yet, I too wear a reflector.

So, what led to these reflectors? You guessed it, a traffic accident. We humans are retroactive aren’t we? The origin of the reflector is an interesting story. The following excerpt is from SafetyReflector of Finland:

Reflective slap bracelets are also popular.
In 1950 ́s Arvi Lehti, a farmer from Pertteli village (Finland) rode his horse and carriage. It was dark. Suddenly a horrible accident happened. A car came from behind the carriage and the driver did not see it. The car hit the carriage and the horse. -The horse died.- The farmer lost his partner at work and a dear friend. Farmer’s stable became empty and he grieved for a while. Then he got a bright idea in deed! He knew how similar accidents could be avoided. He built an injection molding machine in the empty stable and started to produce reflective bricks that could be installed behind horse carriages. The bricks reflected light on car head lights so bright that car drivers could see the carriages in time to slow down and pass by safely.

Later, Lehti glued two reflective bricks together that hung on a string and could be pinned on a jacket. Today, reflectors comes in a variety of shapes, designs, and sizes. CLICK HERE to choose your favorite.

Gift Giving
Santa Claus has come and gone but gift giving in Finland continues. At dinner parties, I have witnessed guests bringing flowers, jams, and chocolates. These small gestures show appreciation for the host. Gifts are opened when received, and other guests usually enjoy the offerings, too. I have come to love Fazer chocolates, Finland’s most valued brand.

I strive to be a good “gift giver” myself. When I visit schools and other institutes, I give the hosts small tokens of my appreciation. I was fortunate to have items donated from different organizations in Kentucky. For instance, Mammoth Cave donated bookmarks; the Kentucky TourismOffice sent lapel pins and drink koozies; the Corvette Museum contributed postcards; Western Kentucky University provided pennants and sunglasses; and Simpson County Schools supplied lanyards. I am grateful for these donations which represent my home state. Recipients seem to be as well.
Gifts from Kentucky
Recycling Machine
The first time I purchased a 20 ounce Coke Zero, I was confused as to why my receipt had two charges for the one item. After the transaction, I did some research. I found that in Finland, the consumer pays a deposit for the can or bottle of certain products. The customers receives a refund on the deposit when the empty container is returned to an automated recycling kiosk (Source—Palpa). All you have to do is place the bottle or can in the slot and the machine prints a ticket of the refund amount you can use at the register. The program reduces beverage container litter along highways, in lakes and rivers, and on other public properties. The system is also a source of income to some individuals. I witnessed people on New Year’s Eve collecting cans and bottles beside event entrances. While I do not enjoy paying an extra fee every time I buy a bottled beverage, I always recycle the item later. Not only for the deposit-refund, but also for the many environmental reasons!

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top