Home Away From Home

Tuesday, January 9, 2018
If you ever find yourself in a distant country for four months, you will need a place in your new city that feels like home. I have been very fortunate to find such a place. Yes, Töölö Towers is an apartment complex, not a house with a front lawn. No, Töölö Towers does not have decorations or framed pictures on the walls. There is no garage with a car in it. It is a good thing I do not need a car. Helsinki is a very walkable city. It has one of the most extensive tram systems in the world. Töölö Towers, my new home, has many amenities that give me comfort. The apartment building’s goal is to make guests feel at home. The facility is a lively place with people from all around the world. Some people stay here for just one night, others up to six months. Co-owned by the University of Helsinki and Aalto University, Töölö Towers have been providing accommodation for international researchers and guests since 2010.

CLICK HERE to go inside my apartment.
Töölö Towers offers high quality furnished, well-equipped flats. The main thing I had to do when I first arrived was just unpack my bags. Everything else was ready to go. I am staying in a studio apartment. It is small! But, I have always wanted to live in a cozy little space in a big city. If it is not New York City, it might as well be Helsinki.



My apartment includes many conveniences:
  • kitchenette
  • stove
  • fridge
  • coffee maker
  • microwave
  • set of dishes
  • television
  • WIFI

Shared among guests are even more amenities:
  • Washing machine and dryer (You sign up in advance and bring your own detergent.)
  • Saunas (Available twice a week.)
  • Iron and ironing boards (Hopefully, I will learn how.)
  • Hair dryer on each floor (My hair isn’t long enough to need this.)

I must admit, my favorite part of being in Töölö Towers is breakfast. Breakfast is included in the room price, and it is better than most continental breakfasts from hotels. Dishes include scrambled eggs, deli meat, cookies, breads, yogurt, fruit, and my favorite…coffee! Did I mention there is a weekly cleaning service that also changes linens? Now, you are probably thinking that I am just plain spoiled.

Töölö is circled in blue.
Töölö Towers is in a great location. There is easy access to the university and all public transportation. I joined a gym, CrossFit Basement, which is only a ten-minute walk from my place. Even though the coaches instruct in Finnish, someone always translates. Most of the time, I can decipher the coach’s visual cues. Maybe I will pick up some Finnish in the process.

Sibelius Monument
The Töölö district is not only practical with gyms, supermarkets, restaurants, and parks. It is also home to several culturally significant landmarks like the Parliament House and Temppeliaukio (Rock) Church. There is a main street in Töölö which runs parallel to the Töölö Bay. On this popular street there is the Finnish National Opera, Finlandia Hall which holds concerts and conferences, and the National Museum of Finland that has Viking relics. Close to my apartment is the majestic Sibelius Monument. The art piece honors national composer, Jean Sibelius. The monument consists of more than 600 hollow steel pipes welded together. Finland’s national anthem, Finlandia Hymn, was written and composed by Sibelius.

Nordic Style Magazine says Töölö is a neighborhood on the uprise. In my opinion, it has already reached the top. I am glad to call Töölö district home, even if it is for only a little while.
Panorama view of Töölö Bay from my apartment floor's balcony.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top