Customs Reflections #2

Sunday, January 14, 2018
My observations of the “Finnish way” happen rather naturally. I do not intentionally look for similarities and differences between Finland and the U.S. Yes, some Finnish customs I notice right away because they are unique compared to what I am accustomed to at home. Other customs I do not realize until much later, even after having seen or experienced the practices many times. In this blog post, I share three more customs I have witnessed here in Finland. The small social conventions like the ones in this post are what continue to make my time in Helsinki interesting and memorable.

Coffee, Tea or Coffee?
I doubt many would consider drinking coffee a hobby, but to me it is! I enjoy a hot cup of coffee with milk or whip cream at any point in the day. I am not alone. The Finns do, too. According to the International Coffee Association, each Finn consumes 12 kilograms of coffee per year. This makes Finland the second-largest country in the world for per capita coffee consumption (Source—Exploring the Finnish Affinity for Coffee). In Finland, I often long for coffee to stay awake because of the short amount of daylight. I also seek mugs of coffee to stay warm. In Finland, coffee is very much a part of most social situations as well. At meetings, the host usually asks if I would like a cup of coffee. At parties, coffee is served with cake while guests share stories and make plans. In my office space at the university, coffee breaks give everyone a chance to talk about things other than work. As you can see, you do not have to look very hard for your next cup of coffee in Finland. It is what brings people together.

I have learned that the best way to have coffee with milk is by adding the cream last. I used to think you should put the milk in first so the coffee when poured mixes better. A student at the university politely informed me that pouring milk after the coffee actually causes the dense milk to flow to the bottom, blending along the way. She explained how this keeps the liquid at the bottom of the cup warmer longer. Preparing coffee truly is an art form.
Image Source
My Card…
Having a well-established network is an important part of our lives. We have personal networks—friends and family with whom we spend quality time. We also have professional networks—colleagues and associates with whom we work to enhance our professional endeavors. In Finland, I am quickly expanding my networks. One way to stay connected with those I meet is through business cards. I have started a rather nice collection of these cards. Business cards not only signify the relationship formed, they give me the information I need to reach my fellow educators when needed. I am glad I decided to bring my box of business cards to Finland. I plan to stay connected with all the schools, libraries, professionals, and friends I meet.

Helsinki Jokerit Hockey Match
Sports Apparel is Saved for the Sport
In America, one would think it is game day, every day. Everywhere you look people are wearing sports apparel of their favorite college or professional sports team. In Finland, you rarely see someone on the street wearing anything related to a sports team. Here, most people wear dark colors, especially in the winter. My bright orange parka really stands out. But when it actually is game day in Finland, you will find fans sporting their team’s logo on hats, scarves, jackets, and shirts. I attended a Helsinki Jokerit hockey match, and I quickly learned that Finns support their home team. Around the rink was a blanket of the Jokerit’s colors: red and yellow. Win or lose, come the next day, fans’ sports apparel will be hanging soundly in the closet until the next match.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top