8 Hours in Turku

Monday, January 29, 2018
I arrived at the Kamppi bus station at 7:30 a.m. It was early, but I was wide-awake. My excitement for spending a day in Turku was overwhelming. I think I was the only person at the station who felt this way. Everyone else had hoods pulled over their faces while using luggage for pillows. These were weary travelers. I am guessing they had been traveling extensively and still had a ways to go. We piled into the Onnibus and two hours later, I stepped foot on a snow covered sidewalk in Turku.
CLICK HERE for a 360-degree view of inside the castle's gates.
Officially, Turku has been on the map since 1229 making it Finland’s oldest city. It was Finland’s capital under Swedish rule until 1812. After Finland became part of the Russian Empire in 1809, the capital was moved to Helsinki. Turku is Finland’s fifth largest city, and still an important industrial and cultural center (Source—Britannica). Along the Aura, I walked through medieval cobblestone streets towards Turku Castle. If not for anything else, it was worth visiting Turku for the snow and architecture. When you think of castles, you think of what you have seen in movies. (Picture Harry Potter). I did not expect a real castle to be that way. I was wrong. Turku Castle was more than I imagined!
After entering the gates, I found myself surrounded by towering defensive walls. It was like going back in time to the Middle Ages. Luckily, there was no angry guard to stop my passing. Inside, I moved from chamber to chamber as if going through a maze. I could not believe the number and variety of rooms. During its history Turku Castle has been a defensive bastion, a majestic court, an administrative center, a prison, a storehouse, and a barracks.
CLICK HERE for a 360-degree view of a room inside the castle.
Next on my list of places to see was Turku Cathedral. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Finland's first bishop, St Henry, the church was sanctified in 1300. The Turku Cathedral is considered to be one of Finland's most valuable historical monuments (Source—Visit Turku). When traveling in Europe, you are certain to visit many churches, and it can be difficult to keep track. Turku Cathedral is one that will always stand out in my mind.
Turku Cathedral
Forum Marinum Maritime Museum
Museum of History and Contemporary Art in Turku
Turku Art Museum
Latte and Salmon Bagel at Cafe Art
After eight hours exploring and admiring Turku, I found myself back on a bus for Helsinki. Now, I too was a weary traveler. With my head resting against the window glass, I watched the lights of Turku fade into the night. Eight hours in a new city might not seem like much. But the memories will last.
I walked from Turku Cathedral (brown building to far left) all the way to Turku Castle at the end on the right...and back!

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top